Outdoor patios create the ideal environment for social gatherings, family meals, and relaxing afternoons with your favorite book. However, a lot of work and planning go into achieving such a perfect outdoor experience. Before jumping into a new home improvement project, make sure you consider the following five factors.
- Purpose How will you use your new patio? Do you plan on entertaining guests? Will you be using it as an outdoor kitchen with a grill and a dining area? You can do a lot with outdoor living spaces, so the hardscape, lighting, and landscape design will all depend upon the practical applications you have in mind.
- Convenience Outdoor patios must be conveniently located so that you can gain easy access from the house and other yard features like the deck or pool. If you plan to do a lot of dining on your patio, make sure you have a clear route from the kitchen to the outdoor dining area so that transporting trays, platters, and glassware is as easy as possible.
- Size Before starting any designs for your new patio, measure the size of your yard and determine how much space you have to dedicate to hardscapes like this. The majority (64%) of homeowners planning to upgrade their outdoor landscapes and hardscapes are addressing their backyard. But if your backyard isn’t big enough for your intended patio uses, take a look at other areas around your property. If your outdoor patio is too small, your guests will feel cramped and uncomfortable, which defeats the purpose of having a lovely outdoor living space.
- Construction Time A patio isn’t built overnight. Before starting construction, plan for necessary prep work and building time. Discuss a timeframe with your professional landscape or hardscape contractor so that your expectations are aligned. Understand that for the duration of the construction, there will be some noise and dust, so for safety purposes, make sure you don’t need access to that area of your property during that time.
- Budget Make sure your contractor is aware of your budget so that he or she can design and install a patio that meets both the needs outlined above and your financial limitations. Every aspect of the patio from size, to materials, to lighting, will impact the total cost of your outdoor deck, patio, or kitchen.
Like any home improvement project, installing an outdoor patio takes a lot of time and careful planning. Before jumping into your new endeavor, make sure you consult a reputable landscaping company to make sure all the right steps are taken and all your questions are answered to your satisfaction.
Starting a new outdoor home improvement project in Chattanooga? Let Southern Luxury Construction design Chattanooga hardscapes that blend seamlessly into your home and lifestyle.