Your yard is much more than a span of green grass, a few flower beds, and a couple trees. If you have the space, your yard can become an extension of your home, with living and dining spaces for relaxing and entertaining.
If you’re thinking about upgrading your outdoor space, consider all of the amazing possibilities. Sure, you can add more flowers and trees, but as many as 73% of homeowners end up making changes to at least one of their outdoorstructures during landscape design projects. Hardscapes like patios and terraces are the most common updates, but outdoor firepits and fireplaces are very popular as well.
Firepits and fireplaces both provide warmth and light to outdoor living spaces, adding a romantic ambiance or relaxing atmosphere to any residential property. However, there are some important differences between the two outdoor features. If you’re having trouble deciding which is best for your home, take a look at the pros and cons list below.
- A firepit offers more seating because it is open on all four sides.
- They typically aren’t very tall, so they won’t obstruct views.
- Firepits are usually less expensive than outdoor fireplaces.
- Outdoor firepits don’t have to be round, they can be any shape.
- A firepit does not have a chimney, so you don’t have to worry about building codes.
- While they do burn wood and gas, they cannot burn propane.
- A firepit will offer less privacy than an outdoor fireplace.
- Because they are shorter and open on all sides, firepits do not block the wind, which can cause embers to fly about.
- They can burn wood, gas, or propane.
- Fireplaces provide more privacy than firepits.
- They can block the wind.
- Fireplaces only sit four to six people.
- They are taller and require a chimney, so they may obstruct property views.
- A fireplace is typically more expensive than a fire pit.
- They require building permits and must adhere to strict code regulations.
Both features have their own separate advantages and disadvantages, but they are both great additions to any outdoor space. Which will you choose? Let us know in the comments section below!